Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Drinking

Drinking

In high school I never drank. In college I drank a lot (sometimes in class). Right after college I drank socially. Now I drink maybe 4-5 times a year. One of those times was this past Saturday, thanks to Josh.

Usually when I go out, since I do not drink, I am the designated driver. I stop by the Keebler House, we go out, I drop people off, & the night is over & everyone is safe. But last week Josh called with tickets to an Arena Football game before going out. The next thing he said is, “Why don’t you just pack a bag & crash on the couch?” What Josh was actually saying was, “You have not drank in awhile & I think you should.”

So I show up around 6 pm with a bag packed, drop it off then Josh & I head downtown to the game. If anyone has not been to an Arena Football game I highly suggest going. It is an experience (especially when you are so close to the players that you have conversations with them!)

Now Josh has this knack for finding the bartenders, no matter what the place/event, that serve the most potent of drinks (mainly Jack Daniels & Diet Coke). Before we head to the seats, Josh finds said bartender, & gets us two JD&DC’s. This bartender mixed them like I used to back in college, & it was glorious!

During halftime, we go walking around where Josh goes for round two. I stop to think. “If I am going to be drinking like THIS all night, I might want to take it slow.” So I tell Josh I am going to pass on this one & continue later.

----BEST PART ABOUT MY FRIENDS: If you ever pass on drinking, they will not make fun of you. You might get ONE comment on occasion, but they understand it is a choice you make, not them.----

Game ends & we head back to meet up with Jordan, who is running late as always. As we step inside, Josh points out that his dogs, Walker & Jax (mainly Walker), decide to tear open my bag & dig out my toothpaste & toothbrush. Walker, a huge, untrained & wild husky, apparently likes toothpaste. Thank you Under Armor for making a backpack to withstand the vicious attack of a toothpaste loving husky. No damage to the backpack, but I did have to get a new toothbrush.

Jordan FINALLY shows up, & we head out.

First stop, Blind Pig. Not a fan of this place, but Jordan wanted to go, & since she is a girl, we were nice & obliged. JD&DC for Josh &, Jordan got some fruity rum thing.

Now we headed to Tequila Ranch (TR). Josh is so well known here that he does not even have to order. When they see him walk in, they instantly mix up a JD&DC. Oh, did I forget to mention that we were drinking doubles? (Not in the normal rocks-glass, but in the taller pint drink glass.) Of course I follow suit with a JD&DC.

So we are just sitting, talking, whatever & I honestly do not recall how many refills of JD&DC I had. The bartenders just kept them coming without asking if we wanted another. If I had to estimate, I would say at least five more were had in the next hour & a half. Now for as social as my friends & I are, we are also geeks with technology, & focused on what we are doing in life. So while sitting there talking, we are on facebook, twitter, checking email, etc. My buddies Josh & Doug love talking business. Jordan, not so much. She just makes fun of us.

Now somewhere between round three & four, TR gets packed. One blonde girl that just screamed “I am Josh’s type” comes up to the bar next to him. Now since I am such a great wingman, I take it upon myself to make sure that she & Josh start talking.
More on that one over here: Josh & Doug's Blog

As Josh & the blonde start talking, I move away to let him do what he does. At that time I noticed a girl about five feet away with a pink “bachelorette” sash with flashing lights on it. Of course I could not see this & not say anything. This ended up in getting them a round of shots. Specifically a round of S.O.S.’s. They thought the shots were “really really strong”. Anyone who knows what an S.O.S. is will find the humor in this.

This is where things get fuzzy. I remember Josh saying something about two girls across the bar from us, & Jordan saying “They know you are looking at them.” So I make my way around & introduce myself. Josh comes over & conversation ensues. At this point, Jordan wants to go to Dive Bar. Josh stays, & Jordan & I head over. (Mind you I did not remember going to Dive Bar until MONDAY MORNING.)

What I recall from Dive Bar:

A brunette girl named Theresa that did some sort of running/drinking marathon that night.
Maybe shots…?

Not much, huh? Just one of MANY reasons I rarely drink. What I do recall is getting back (by cab) & pulling out my preemptive strike hangover remover. A bottle of Gatorade & Tylenol. This is a tactic I learned in college thanks to the fraternity I belonged to.

Next thing I know, I hear my alarm on my iPhone going off. 6am, time for church! I get up, fully recovered but dehydrated, head back, shower change, rehydrate, go to church then go boating for the day.

I cannot say exactly when the next time I am going to drink will be, but it might not be till New Years unless another big event comes along.


Side note: Theresa, you were a cool girl. Maybe if I was not so intoxicated I would have thought to ask you to dinner & got your number!

No comments:

Post a Comment